Monday, September 09, 2013

Rome - Day 1

It's a strange thing, returning to a city many years after your last visit. Nearly 6 years to the day I was last in Rome, I was back. There were many reasons for this - Laulita and Rosa were having an intensive tour of Italy, H had never been to Rome, and I had yet to visit Riz and check out her palazzo. With the convergence of all these events, tickets and hotels were booked :D

Perhaps most strange was that despite not having been there for so long, I was able to recall various details as I walked from Termini to Repubblica, past Trajan's Forum and the Wedding Cake to Laulita's hotel. I have good memories of Rome and it was sweet to revisit them. It was also sweet to see Laulita again and we headed off to Trastevere to explore and get something to eat. 
And craving seafood, I got spaghetti con vongole (clams). I really should just make something this simple. 

H had been on a walking tour and joined us later and so we had second dinner at another restaurant and then we wandered around the area. I was thrilled - thrilled! - to see stores open at night! Ahhhh! But it wasn't until we were crossing back over the river that we got the nicest surprise of the night! 
Moonlight cinema was being held on Isola Tiberina which was clearly visible from the Ponte Fabricia where this photo was taken. No idea what the film actually was though. 

No comments: