Friday, October 04, 2013

Movie review - L'écume des Jours

Colin (Romain Duris) is a rich young man - he lives a pleasant life without having to work, enjoys the great food made by his cook, Nicolas (Omar Sy), and his best friend is Chick (Gad Elameh). Invited to a party by Chick, Colin meets and falls love with fellow guest Chloe (Audrey Tautou), and the two continue their charmed lives together. That is until Chloe becomes ill on their honeymoon due to a lily growing in her lungs.

Based on the story by Boris Vian (which I admittedly have not read), this film is certainly a visual treat. From Michel Gondry, I've got to say that I loved all the visual effects and marvelled at how some were achieved - check out the trailer for how wonderful it looks!
Looks wonderful, n'est-ce pas?

The story...well, maybe it would have made more sense if I'd read the story beforehand because this was less wonderful. The trailer is essentially composed of the first half of the movie, but the second half where life is not so rosy due to Chloe's illness...well, the visual effects are still there, of course, but the movie ended with me and Noelia going, "What just happened?" while Max (who is French) trying to explain various French wordplay jokes and the work of Boris Vian because he could see the puzzled looks on our faces.

I want to write a larger analysis of my strange reaction to the movie, but when I explained the plot plus spoilers to a friend, her reaction was also, 'What?!' so I....I just don't know!
8/10 for the first half which I REALLY enjoyed! 5/10 for the second that had me just puzzled and depressed :(

No comments: