Thursday, April 26, 2012

ANZACS!

A funny thing about living overseas - I think I've become more *Aussie*. By this, I mean I care more about things that I didn't really think too much about before. Things like finding out what's the score in the Boxing Day Test and eating more vegemite and meat pies than I usually would. I'm not sure when was the last time I ate Anzac cookies. Definitely not in the last two years but I had a real craving to make some to celebrate the thorough defeat of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps under the command of the British Empire at the hands of the Turks at Gallipoli ;)


The recipe I used was ripped from the Women's Weekly
#Combine 1 cup of plain flour, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of rolled oats, and 1 cup of dessicated coconut

Melt 125g of butter in a pan, add 2tb golden syrup, 1 tb warm water, and 1tsp bicarb/baking soda. While still warm, mix into the dry ingredients

Spoon mixture onto an oven tray lined with baking paper and bake in a (pre-heated) oven at 160C for 12-15 mins or until golden brown.

Cool slightly on try and eat to heart's delight!

I'm happy to report that after they cooled, the cookies were a delightful mix of hard and chewiness. I took them to work where they were happily devoured by the reason why Aussies got killed at Gallipoli - The Germans!  


As a side note, the Germans think it's funny we *celebrate* Anzac Day. The comment was made that celebrating a day when your troops got massacred by the enemy when trying to invade their land...that'd be like them celebrating the Battle of Stalingrad or basically any day in the calendar!

Also, this was the golden syrup I bought specifically to use for this recipe. Now I need to think of other ways to eat it. Hmmmm 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Malice. Hijacking this recipe today :)