Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Rad City - part 1

My visit back to Australia isn't all catching up with friends, eating food, and visiting labs in Melbourne. Some of it is catching up with friends, eating food, and visiting labs in Adelaide. I flew to Rad City and caught up with Stephan and Claudia who moved from Muenchen after Stephan nabbed a post-doc there, and as a former collaborator, I was fully within my rights to visit his lab. 

Like me, Stephan has made a real effort to integrate into the Aussie way of life. This was apparent from the moment I entered their abode as Stephan pointed out with whom they were sharing their home,
This redback spider, which lived in their garage.

After settling in, we decided to walk from their place and go to the beach and swim. Mmmm, you could smell the salt in the air. 

After dinner, we celebrated common German-Australian cultural customs by setting food on fire

and our mutual love of sausages/wurstl.

Following the next day's hard work in the lab, we decided to continue letting me enjoy the view of the sun setting over the ocean as we had dinner.
Wie schoen!

Stephan und Claudia sind echt suess zusammen.

Two old enemies and I have finally reached a friendly agreement - the sun and sea will no longer try to kill me, and I will pose prettily by them as advertising.

Up next, our fun during my return to the BARAWESOME Valley. 

No comments: