Monday, December 06, 2010

U2 - 360. Most. Epic. Concert. Ever.

When the concert was announced, my face went all :D. I bought general admission tickets for me and Pooey since she was converted to fandom when she attended their last concert in 2006, but alas, it turned out she was in Radelaide that weekend so the ticket went to Mischka instead. We met up with some friends on Southbank before walking down to the Docklands and after being disgusted by Australia's showing in the Adelaide Test, we ended up being a bit late for Jay-Z's set. Some pics!

The sight of THE CLAW as we walked into the stadium! I believe our words on seeing this was a Keanu-esque "Woah"

Jay-Z on the big screen doing his thang.

Jay-Z finished around 8pm but U2 didn't come onstage until around an hour later as the sun was setting. With some careful manoeuvering, Mich and I actually ended up about 50m away from the stage. Our relative lack of distance meant that we were actually able to see ALL the members of U2 IN PERSON!!! 


Bono on the moving catwalk...

...and then singing with The Edge

Adam was especially visible because he was dressed completely in white and the lights reflected off him quite nicely


Larry on bongos with Adam 

The crappiness of the photos doesn't really illustrate our proximity and in hindsight we could have easily shoved in front but didn't because we didn't want to have a Calvin Harris -in-St.Kilda-shovey experience again. This was a reallz stupid thing to do because there were some tall guys in front of us, and as small girls we could have done it super easily. But that didn't matter too much because the awesomeness of THE CLAW set up meant we had a magnificent view of the screens!

Bono crisp and clear on the screen.

The screens moved at various points so it also formed a light show!

As well as functioning as a giant mirrorball!

Unfortunately, I ran out of batteries so I don't have that many photos and on all my videos, my singing is clearly audible. The setlist from the night (courtesy of google search):
Return of the Stingray Guitar,
Beautiful Day - Blackbird,
New Year's Day,
Get On Your Boots,
Magnificent,
Mysterious Ways,
Elevation,
Until the End of the World,
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - Movin' On Up,
Stuck In a Moment,
Pride,
In A Little While,
Miss Sarajevo,
City of Blinding Lights,
Vertigo - Rockaway Beach,
Funky Town - I'll Go Crazy (remix) - Relax - Two Tribes,
Sunday Bloody Sunday,
Scarlet,
Walk On - You'll Never Walk Alone

Encore(s):
One - I'll Stand By You,
Amazing Grace - Where the Streets Have No Name,
Ultraviolet,
With or Without You,
Moment of Surrender 

Anyway, I'll admit that I didn't know all the songs they played during their set, but it didn't matter to me because they played most of what mattered. If I had to complain, it's that they ended the show with Moment of Surrender which I assume is from their new album because no one seemed to know it. It was a bit of a low point - they should have played All I Want Is You instead! All in all, it was an all-round excellent show, the music, the sound, the production values, the mechanical engineering, the support act, even the non-aggro crowd! How many bands can play to 60,000 and have everyone walking out happy? Not many! We exited the stadium to the tune of Elton John's Rocket Man. It was a great way to end a memorable night!

No comments: