Thursday, June 24, 2010

False advertising?

Last week I met up with Lydia for a post-jungle holiday catch up. (Just to clarify, she went to the jungle, not me kekeke.) Tired of eating hawker asian and various other semi-fast food, she decided we should eat at +39, a pizza bar. Now, despite the title of this blog entry, +39 was pretty good! For future visitors, I highly HIGHLY recommend the pizza that has leek on it, I can't remember its actual name. Tirolese? Something like that. Either way, it has leek on it. What's got me opining in a rambling manner is the truffle vs. truffle oil problem.

Now, I love truffles. That wonderfully earthy aroma, backed up by the flavour explosion when they hit your mouth *gargling sound*. But
I also love truffle oil - because let's face it, truffles are expensive for a reason and when you can't shell out for the black stuff, the black-infused (or even artificially flavoured, I guess) oil will suffice. Just a bit of a drizzle over some leaves and you can win friends with salad! However, when you're telling me something has truffles, I expect there to be truffles, not truffle oil.
$24 for something that has truffles?! Sold!!!

:O Where are my truffles?!?!

Now, I don't profess to be a gastronomic expert but looking at the pizza, I'm not entirely convinced there are truffles on it. That greyish-brown stuff at the border of the topping and crust could be pureed/minced truffles but neither of us are entirely sure and it's definitely not the way I've ever had them served before. The pizza is still tasty but alas, I doubt that it's due to 'the diamond of the kitchen'.

No comments: