Friday, January 31, 2014

London Day 1

So. I'm back in London, also known as Rundon, which can probably also be called 'Fundon' because it's always so much fun. I got in quite late on Thursday night so I wouldn't be spending the first day of the CHINESE NEW YEAR travelling. Also, I can get CNY banquets in London, I don't know where I'd get them in Munich. I guess London can therefore also be known as 'Yumdon'. 

I had plans to also do some shopping and touristy stuff while in Fundon. It doesn't matter how many times I'm there, there are always things that surprise and amuse me. 
Like finding this street not far away from where Pooey lives! I thought only the Germans were giant fans of the Hoff!

I did consider whether I had enough time to be really touristy and go to the viewing deck of The Shard, but decided I didn't :/

Despite the overcast sky, it was a pretty clear day. I considered taking a photo of St. Paul's through the bridge supports but there were too many tourists. Tourists!

Yes, I did take this photo from here because 1D were in this very spot for their One Thing video. 
(Go to 2:12)

Oh hey, Bumblebee!

After doing some shopping, I headed into Chinatown and have some curry laksa from Rasa Sayang. It was nowhere near as good as Laksa King.

The first banquet of the trip was a catch up with different people who used to be from Melbourne at Kam Fung, near Holborn. It was a pretty good dinner, but the really funny thing is that when I told Smee and showed him the photos, he had no idea that this place existed and said he'd check it out asap!
The very Asian table setting. What I didn't know until later was that the mandarines were a present from Jade and the Friendly Dragon.

YEE SANG!!!! Funny point - the orange things at the edge of the plate on the bottom left of the photo were crunchy nut cornflakes?

Scallops. These were pretty awesome.

Golden pillow prawns. I don't think I've ever eaten prawns like this before.

Stuffed fish. I know I have never eaten fish like this before! The fish had been skinned, the meat mashed up into awesomeness, then rolled back up again, cooked and then sliced and presented like that. Awesome. 

Siu yuk/roast pork belly. Everybody agreed that this was pretty good. 

Roast duck

The other dishes that were too far away for me to photograph individually but there was tofu, chicken, and vegetables.

To be honest, I don't think I've eaten like this since Pooey's wedding, and my lack of practice showed. It HURT to walk to the tube and get back home. I had to sleep on my side and still felt full the day after!

No comments: