Sunday, May 20, 2012

Champions League 2012

To be honest, despite my enjoyment of football/soccer, I never really paid much attention to the Bundesliga. Probably because it didn't receive a great deal of coverage in Australia compared to the Premier League or Serie A. This of course has changed since I moved to Munich. Now, it's really hard not to get swept into the fervour of Bayern Muenchen - especially since they made the UEFA Champions League Final - TO BE PLAYED AT THEIR HOME GROUND OF THE ALLIANZ ARENA!!! There was a feeling of fait accompli in the days leading up to the match and even I was going around saying MIA SAN MIA!!! which is Bavarian for *We are we/us* - basically the team motto. I've been indoctrinated. I'm one of them now. 
The massive presence of the various fans in the Chinesischer Turm biergarten. Longest queue I've ever seen! Also, there was a wedding going on which everyone cheered. What kind of people schedule their wedding on the day of the final in their home city?!?!



The Chelsea supporters' Tiny quarter


Of course, FCBayern lost in the most horrible way imaginable after thoroughly dominating the match. And truly, I have never felt a city just....deflate...it was pretty horrible to be a part of and even worse to watch. I nearly started to cry! And I have never seen so many people crying on the u-bahn before and hopefully never will again! 
Crying like these guys. Maybe they were tired and emotional though, people had been drinking since 9am even though kickoff was nearly 12 hours later.

So having lost all three trophies they were up for this year, it was depressing times all around. Ah well, there's always next year.


Also, happy birthday to my husband Iker who posted a pic on facebook of him swimming with dolphins to celebrate instead of commiserating with me. He was probably glad that the team which knocked him out didn't win.

No comments: